Did you know each week more than 30,000 Americans over the age of 65 are seriously injured by falling? According to the National Safety Council, nearly 250 die as a result.
October 10, 2011 is National Personal Safety Day and Todd’s Porcelain & Fiberglass Repair in Phoenix, Arizona would like to share how to reduce your risk of falling:
• Make sure your footwear fits well, has a non-slip sole and is appropriate for the activity at hand. Slippers, while comfortable, aren’t a good choice as they can stretch, become loose, and fall off, causing the wearer to fall. Socks can be ice skates on tile floor, and should be worn with shoes.
• Take steps to eliminate or fix potential hazards at home including making sure all walkways, stairs, and hallways are free of clutter, removing scatter or throw rugs, making sure all cords are out of the way, and using brighter bulbs and increasing natural light throughout the house.
• Invest in professionally-installed grab bars at the entry to AND inside the tub/shower, as well as replace the towel rack with a grab bars. Visit ToddsBathtubs.com for more information.
• Since two-thirds of the falls occur in the bathroom, consider converting your fiberglass tub to a step-in shower. Reducing the tub barrier from a typical 16 inches down to 4 inches will help reduce your risk as you enter and exit the shower. Call Todd’s today to schedule this one-day tub cut to make your bathroom safer!
• Consider starting a regular exercise program to improve balance, coordination and lower body strength, after getting approval from your doctor.
• Review all prescriptions and over the counter medications with your health care provider as some can contribute to the increase in falls among older adults.
• Have your vision checked by a professional at least once a year.
Safety is within reach, so prevent falls, not react to them!
Todd’s Porcelain & Fiberglass Repair began serving Maricopa County Arizona (the Phoenix metropolitan area) in 1978 to provide repair and refinishing services to a growing demand from homeowners, plumbers, builders, hotels and senior living venues who need repairs to bathtubs and shower units, old and new! Todd’s provides a professional and reasonable repair solution to the high cost of replacing bathtubs and showers and to make bathrooms safe by installing the world’s strongest grab bar system.
Services offered include:
*Refinish ugly tubs, tile, showers and sinks
*Repair shower and tub weak floors
*Convert Fiberglass Tub to walk-in shower
*Repair chips in tubs, showers, sinks
*Provide & install bathroom safety grab bars
Call Todd’s at 480 835 7070 or visit http://www.ToddsBathtubs.com